Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Iran Photos
From: tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:38:25 -0400

Hi, Frank -

No restrictions at all on my photographing anybody.  Our guide was so good
at getting me permission to take photos even in the men's section of the
mosques.  There were lots of mosques where no photography was allowed at
all but I was not only allowed to photograph but even to go to parts of the
mosque where non-Muslims are not allowed.  He told them I was working on a
project for the Families of Abraham and photographing Muslims, Christians
and Jews and their worship services - which is true.  He also told them I
had been to Syria photographing refugees and was working on a project to
help them - also true.  The Iranians are very concerned about the
conditions in Syria and would like to help.  They have lots of refugees
from Syria, Afghanistan and Pakistan who are begging on the streets.

Probably a man would not be allowed in the women's section of the mosques
but with families in homes, I'm sure there would be no problem.  Leaving
Iran, there were even separate sections for women to go through security
because we had to remove our hijabs and only women examined women.

Many, many Iranians resent their current religious government and we were
told more than once that they had traded one king for thousands (the
mullahs).  The young people are angry with their parents because of the
revolution and the restrictions they are now under.  I wouldn't be
surprised if there was an uprising of some kind soon.  They are all on
Facebook (even though it is banned), Instagram, Telegram, and What's App.

Tina