Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2016: modern Rotterdam
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:34:18 -0500

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>wrote:

>If you like modern architecture (as I do) then Rotterdam is the city for
you. I am attending all-day meetings here, but the days are long now, so
there is plenty >of daylight after we finish around 5 p.m. every day. Here
are 5 pictures from Tuesday's walk.

>View of Wilhelminaplein from across the Maas river. The building on the
left belongs to the largest Dutch phone company, KPN. It is headquartered
in The >Hague but it has moved many functions to Rotterdam in recent years.
The building with the red N is the NHOW hotel where I am staying:
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-394vc5b/A
<http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-394vc5b/A>

>The KPN building:
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Z4BVQ85/A
<http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Z4BVQ85/A>

>A closer view of the KPN building:
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Kz27Jd8/A
<http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Kz27Jd8/A>

>The Maritime Museum, Wijnhaven:
>http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-xvdQShW/A
<http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-xvdQShW/A>

>Cheers,
>Nathan

>Nathan Wajsman
======================================================================================================================
I guess I'm just an old fogey, but I don't like those buildings, especially
the museum. I hate flat-topped structures and large blank walls.
With the exception of some works like our Calatrava addition to the
Milwaukee Art Museum, I feel architecture has gone downhill since the Art
Deco phase.
--
Alan

(Retired)