Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 19/4/2016: modern Rotterdam
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:28:22 +0200

If you like modern architecture (as I do) then Rotterdam is the city for
you. I am attending all-day meetings here, but the days are long now, so
there is plenty of daylight after we finish around 5 p.m. every day. Here
are 5 pictures from Tuesday's walk.

View of Wilhelminaplein from across the Maas river. The building on the left
belongs to the largest Dutch phone company, KPN. It is headquartered in The
Hague but it has moved many functions to Rotterdam in recent years. The
building with the red N is the NHOW hotel where I am staying:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-394vc5b/A

The KPN building:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Z4BVQ85/A

A closer view of the KPN building:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Kz27Jd8/A

The Maritime Museum, Wijnhaven:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-xvdQShW/A

And here is a sculpture that explains all this modern architecture. In
contrast to other Dutch cities like Amsterdam or Utrecht, Rotterdam is
remarkable for the complete lack of old buildings in the centre. The reason
is that the entire centre was destroyed by the German air force in a single
day in May 1940. This sculpture of a man with a hole where his heart should
be was erected in 1951 to commemorate the destruction:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-GPn5SLX/A

The destroyed city was the ground on which modern Rotterdam arose. It is an
awesome city. More pictures will follow in the coming days.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain