Subject: [Leica] LUG Yearbook sales
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:39:36 -0700

I am at the stage in Life where I do not want more "stuff".  My Kids do not
want to have to get rid of even more "stuff" after I am gone.  A printed
Book is "stuff".
The PDF version is a perfect solution for me... the Charity gets the
donation, I get to look at and study the images, and my Kids do not have to
rid our house with more "stuff" (hopefully after I am gone...).

For those that think a PDF version is somehow a downplay from a printed
version, and therefore is some kind of ridiculousness, you are entitled to
your opinion.

I am saddened that no PDF 2015 version was/is not available.

The World at large hardly is interested in a book of images that are in
their own right non-thematic, non-consistent in quality, at a $100 price
point, non-juried, from a group of photographers whose only connection to
each other is a computer and a few Internet wires.. Publicity will get you a
few curious people to buy one.... but asking the Editor to put out even more
energy to promote to the world seems totally out of line.

This is not rocket science...   If the purpose of the Yearbook is still to
donate to a charity, then let's get our "stuff" together and make sure that
the roughly 1000 of us in LUG-Land make a suitable donation....

My suggestion:  the solution is to charge a nominal fee ( cost from Blurb
for PDF distribution  plus the donation) for entering your 2 images into the
book, for which, you automatically get a code for the PDF version....  At
100 Photographers submittals, and a charity donation of $5 each, the charity
would collect $500, and those that want to "feel" the pages,  can as well
buy a printed version....

Or, if you prefer to not "force" the purchase of the PDF version,

Just charge a Charity Fee for entry... the donation amount.

The whole purpose of this project was (is?) to gather money for a charity.

This is all about giving.  Not Ego.

I hope.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net