Subject: [Leica] Sunday NYT Cuba photos — WTF?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:29:04 -0400

Today?s New York Times has a cover story on President Obama?s visit to Cuba.
It?s accompanied by a p. 1 color photo of a Havana barbershop, occupying 5
columns and most of the space above the fold. On p. 8 are six more.

I immediately thought of Tina, although I didn?t suppose that they were
hers, being presumably more or less current photos. What surprised me was
the credit lines. The p. 1 photo was credited to ?The New York Times?. The
p. 8 credit was ?Photographs By The New York Times?.

Aside from the amusing mental picture of a newspaper carrying a camera and
prowling the streets of Havana looking for human interest tableaux, I was
nonplussed by the lack of attribution in any case, but especially for a
spread of seven photos starting on Page One. When, and why, did it become
acceptable at the NYT to publish photos without attribution?

Photos elsewhere in the paper are properly attributed. Would there have been
some danger to the photographer? There seemed nothing offensive to the
regime about the images.

Anyone?

?howard

Replies: Reply from zoeica at mac.com (chris williams) ([Leica] Sunday NYT Cuba photos — WTF?)