Subject: [Leica] IMG: California, 1949
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:04:54 -0800

Ric, Jay, Tina, Lluis: Thanks so much. Glad you are enjoying them. I am
having a great time reviewing and scanning them. It's a lot of work, but it
also evokes many memories. I was a little kid in the mid/late 1950s, and I
can remember when things still looked a lot like these pictures.  Photos
evoke memories, both general memories of the time, and specific memories of
the people and incidents. It's quite a ride.

I'm going to have to put the old slides aside for a while now. I have to
prepare for several musical things coming up. Plus my den renovations will
be finished soon, so I'll have to reassemble the room with a different
configuration. The next batch of slides will be from the early-mid 1950s,
which includes yours truly as a wee lad.

I'll be experimenting with some different ways of digitizing the slides.
Comparing the camera/slide viewer method with VueScan and my FS-4000 at
half or 1/4 rather than full resolution.  I'm told that VueScan's IR dust
removal now works on Kodachrome if you don't overdo it, which wasn't the
case a few years ago.  That could save spotting time.  And on the camera
and slide-viewer attachment front, I've ordered a couple of 52mm extension
tubes to go between the lens and the slide viewer. That will enable me to
use my 50/3.5 Olympus OM Macro lens. I suspect it won't give me any more
resolution than the 28mm OM lens I'm now using, but it might vignette less
and focus more easily.  We'll see.

--Peter