Subject: [Leica] carbon fiber tripod
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:02:42 -0800

I use a now-discontinued Gitzo GT0531 tripod with a G1177M ball head. It
hardly weighs anything, and has minimal but adequate range and stability
for my use. The center column can be inverted to get the camera really
close to the ground for something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152767247753961&l=1ac2d4184d

It's perfectly adequate in non-windy situations with a small camera like
Olympus OM-D that I currently use, or Leica rangefinders that I used to
use, but I think it might crumble if I mount my Toyo 45G.

I think I once mounted a Telyt-R 400mm on it to take photographs of a solar
eclipse and the transit of Venus. I probably wouldn't use it for a
long-exposure in a windy condition, however.

Besides the stability/weight, I find the ease of use very important.
Glitz's twist-lock legs allow one-hand adjustments very quickly, and more
importantly very securely.

It sounds like you might want something taller and sturdier, however.