Subject: [Leica] The Welder
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 07:21:15 -0800

I am a big fan of my Really Right Stuff L bracket and quick release system.
I shoot most everything on a tripod if possible.  I have a bit of a shaky
hand.  My father-in-law shoots that way, too, but he has always just flopped
his ball head sideways for verticals.  Not very sturdy,especially with a
long lens, but he has not wanted to spend the $500+ for the RRS system.
This trip, I said, why don?t we just make one for your tripod head.  So, off
to the garage we went.

At 92, he is still active, and even tried to teach me welding once a while
back.

Here he is in action making the L bracket.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/C5/su/Welding-7792.jpg.html

I had him send me some photos of the final product.  His tripod head is the
Bogen/Manfrotto release type and I have never seen an L bracket for that
release type.   Hence, the making of the bracket.  Also, it was a challenge.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/C5/su/camera+bracket-00157.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/C5/su/camera+bracket-00155.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/C5/su/camera+bracket-00151.jpg.html

The design evolved as we were making it.  Got one thing to work, but then
discovered another problem, and solved that.  Went on for about three
iterations before we got it right.

Comments welcome

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

would ever have dared dream.? James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] The Welder)
Reply from john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster) ([Leica] The Welder)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] The Welder)