Subject: [Leica] Computer Suggestions
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 08:19:51 -0800

There are several tools for reviewing and backing up photos.... and some
offer the ability to use an external HDD for even larger storage.
However, the screens are pretty small.  I have a discontinued model made by
Digital Foci, and it works great for backup....  It may be your preferred
method for securing your images.  ( used, cost me $100)....  Virtually
useless for image review.

If you are shooting JPGs, the Apple Ipads will work ( I think), but if you
are shooting RAW, they do not.  Apple products are really not very flexible,
and the type of use  you wish to use, is not one of the "approved"
techniques.
Ie, trouble flags ahead...  I am not sure they can be used for downloading
images from an SD card to put on a external HDD.  They do not have a USB
port.....!  But if they will work with the images types you take, would
offer a really good image review system.  A lot of if's there......

There might be a non-Apple pads available that will do the entire job you
wish.... ... download files to an external HDD, allow those files to be
reviewed on the screen, and will accept RAW files.

There is always the idea of a cheap laptop computer ( $250-400) which might
do the job for you.....especially if you are using an external HDD for
actual storage.  Think of this computer as a 1 use component... travel and
transfer and review... not much more.....and you should not be
disappointed...

If it were me, I would go the computer route.... but I would think of it as
a throw-away....   Most of these cheap computers have significant
disadvantages... low battery time, bad screens, low reliability, etc.

Keep in mind, no matter what you buy, that a universal voltage model would
be much preferred... 110V or 220V, 50 or 60 hz....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Computer Suggestions)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Computer Suggestions)