Subject: [Leica] Go ahead, buy that Leica
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:47:20 -0800

Some interesting advice from the NY Times' "Sketch Guy" and financial
columnist, Carl Richards.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/your-money/the-financial-benefits-of-buying-what-you-love.html?_r=0>

Now, of course, you have to actually have the money to spend it (or at
least a reasonable expectation of paying off  the credit). But it does
make sense to buy something expensive that will last longer than a cheap
equivalent, and will bring you pleasure, happiness or function that the
inexpensive thing won't.  IMHO, most Leica lenses have always fallen
into that category. Leica film bodies, definitely.

With Leica digital bodies, it's more complicated. For me, being able to
use my Leica lenses digitally, with RF focusing and simple, discrete
controls, is very important.  From that standpoint, even with all the
"issues," I still think Leica digital M bodies are worth having.
There's also the "feel" of one's tools, which can be very important.
And it is possible to buy used from someone who gets their happiness
from having the latest.

If one is just interested in ultimate image quality, there may be equal
or even slightly better choices. If feature lists, the very latest
technology, or ultimate cost-to-function ratio are vital, look elsewhere.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Go ahead, buy that Leica)