Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hatch to the Wardroom
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:53:38 -0600

On Dec 21, 2015, at 1:03 AM, Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi Jay,
> I've always loved the 15mm lens on the Leica SLRS and I bought one to use
> on
> my M8. HOWEVER??????
> Me not being a techie I was with Bob Adler in Yosemite and praising my 15mm
> on the M8! :-) And Bob says "No it doesn't cover 15mm!"
> Me? "But it says 15mm right on the lens and that is why I bought it!"
> Bob says again, "But it isn't a 15mm lens on an M8!"  Techie dumb-ass me
> challenges him verbally.  " HOW CAN THAT BE WHEN IT'S ADVERTISED AS 15MM ?
>
> Bob smiles nicely and offered... "But on an M8 it isn't a full frame body
> so
> it doesn't record a 15mm image!"
> Me, "becoming more ticked off!" When for several years any time I used the
> 15mm lens on my M8's the image always looked wider."
> Bob smiles nicely again and offered. "Well the image would look a little
> wider, maybe 16mm? 17mm? But not 15mm. So finally it came together sort of
> and I said? "OH you mean the hole in the body to the sensor isn't big
> enough
> to allow a 15mm image recorded???"  Bob smiled, nicely nodded his head
> realizing "techie dumb-ass Ted finally got the reason!" :-)
> Then I got completed frustrated ( use of unrepeatable words here ) about
> Leica not building the camera correctly!! Please don't bother explaining it
> to me as Bob most kindly did. Thanks again Bob! :-)
> Now I feel ripped off that I don't really have a 15mm recording device!
> "Device?" Heck I can't call it a camera anymore because it cheats me every
> time I want a 15mm shot!  :-(
> cheers,
> Dr. ted  :-)

Ah, however, The 15 mm remains a 15 mm;
no matter what size film or sensor you put in back of the damn thing.
Just as when I photographed with view cameras.
I could put the 165 mm Super Angulon on the camera;
and use 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, and even a 35 mm body.

It always performed as 165mm lens. Always.

The focal length never changed.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com