Subject: [Leica] M8 problems
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 10:39:14 -0500

When I turn my M8 on, the first thing I see is the message: ?SD-Card full?.
But it isn?t, not nearly. When I push the PLAY button, it tells me: ?No
valid image to play?. But there are images. (The card is read normally, and
its images displayed, by the M240.) When I press the M8?s MENU button, the
menu is displayed normally. But when I select Format SD-Card, it will not
reformat the card?it doesn?t progress beyond the ?Do you want to format the
SD-Card?? screen when I push the Yes button. All that happens is the red
light flashes rapidly. I have to remove the battery to get out.

Reformatting the same card in the M240 proceeds normally, but the situation
is the same when it?s put back into the M8, and the M8 gives the same
notices when I try the M240?s SD card in it.

When I try to install the current firmware update that?s been downloaded
onto the SD card, again the M8 reports ?SD-Card full?.

(By the way, all you M8 users: Contrary to Leica?s online instructions, the
M8 firmware update file is NOT a .zip file, and does not need to be
decompressed into a .upd file that gets put onto your SD card. It?s already
a .upd file and only needs to be downloaded and transferred in its native
state to your SD card. (Sorry if this is common knowledge that?s already
been shared, but I haven?t updated my M8 in years.) The instructions for the
M240 are different, and the update file for it is a .fw file that likewise
isn?t a compressed file, or at least not one that needs decompressing by the
user.)

Any solution short of sending it on a trip to NJ?

?howard

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] M8 problems)
Reply from zoeica at mac.com (chris williams) ([Leica] M8 problems)
Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Verizon) ([Leica] M8 problems)