Subject: [Leica] Which R lenses are good? Mediocre? Bad?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 06:53:39 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Frank Filippone wrote:

>It might be an interesting time to discuss really good R lenses and really
>bad R lenses.  just in case the SL camera body becomes a great base for
>these older optics..
>

>Prices right now on R lenses are pretty low. might make for a good
>discussion in advance of rising prices..
>

>People have spoken highly of the APO Macro 60 and 100 Elmarit

The 60 Macro isn't APO but it's among the best (IMHO) R lenses.  I find the
color richness in particular make it stand out from the Micro-Nikkors I've
used (55mm f/3.5 AI and f/2.8 AI).

There aren't any really bad R lenses but some of the earliest models would
only have been described as 'good' in their day.  The early 35mm Elmairt-R
(Series VI filters) comes to mind, and the (Schneider) 21mm f/4.

Anything APO is going to be a stellar performer and the price already
reflects this.  The non-APO longer lenses generally fall under the 'quite
good' category which means that the better CaNikon lenses (Canon L, Nikon
ED) are reasonable alternatives.  The 50 'lux E60 is spectacular and the
market has already priced it out of my reach.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
http://doug-herr.fineartamerica.com