Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Re: (SPAM: ?) Re: BIG new Leica - TINA
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:41:15 -0700

Mark... it is the only lens you can buy now.... the 50 is vaporware for
now.... as is the long zoom.
Would you purchase a camera for $7500 that had no available to buy, all
features, lenses?

The advertising is right.  They must show a lens on the camera, and it must
be a fully featured lens for use with that camera (is, no adapted lens with
dumbed down features, like auto aperture, non-AF, etc.)

The timing is wrong..... they should have had the 50 and something else ( WA
Zoom?  Long Zoom?) available at launch......

As I said, another Sony A7 similarity..... cart before the horses......

What this is going to do is force users to test their M or R lenses (through
the already available R to M adapter plus M to SL)  immediately on the
camera, and to report their findings.  This is a good thing for you and
me.... someone will tell us ( actually a bunch of people with the same
reports) which M lenses will work well, and which are poor on the new SL
bodies.

I don?t think Leica intended that result, but it is going to happen.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Traditionally a 50 mm f/1.4 lens is the flagship default lens of any 35mm
format camera system but with people now thinking a lens which does not zoom
is an quaint anomaly that may be forgotten ethic. But traditionally people
are going to compare the 50 mm f/1.4 to their existing system and that's
what's going to form their opinion on a new system being introduced. A fact
that we know Leica has not forgotten if we look at the specs of the current
and fairly new LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. Which holds no prisoners
yet is half the price of the APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 ASPH Lens which goes
for seven grand. Its just that "Summicron" is Leicas main brand so Leica
takes f2 very seriously. Anybody else wants a "1.4" on their 50mm lens.
Leica M glass as long been considered to be a step up at least from Canon
Nikon but Leica M glass has a cross to bear in that it must be made compact
to avoid blocking the viewfinder window. And that's a parameter to not be
taking lightly. Even if it makes the lens lighter.
As Leica has freed itself from this consideration by coming out with a
premium full frame not reflex but not rangefinder viewfinder either (mirror)
it can go all out and define itself with that lens and not have a
compactness parameter to throw off its game. So this is a big lens compared
to an M 50. Its big compared to any 50 out there except the new premium
Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon.
Instead in all its advertizing you see the new digital SL with a dumb super
front heavy ultra wide range zoom. The kind of lens serous shooters have
long and famously reviled. Fire the marketing department.
Me personally I have a 50mm lens on my camera for weeks at at time sometimes
with a 35 or 85 in my camera bag it remains for me as flexible and quality
involved it always way in the film days. Though I've gone down a notch to
f1.8. Though at this moment the 35 1.8 is on the camera. A DSLR.
My 50 1.8G is so light I don't even know its in my camera bag I think there
is a spare pair of socks  in there.

On 10/23/15 10:56 AM, "Paul Roark" <roark.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

> And judging from the length of that lens, Leica, like Zeiss, is going
> to a
more retrofocus design.  My assumption is that while the thinner cover glass
> on the Leicas minimizes the edge problems, it does not eliminate the
negative
> impact of the cover glass and obtuse ray angles -- even from a 50
mm lens.
> Light falloff is also less with the more retrofocus designs.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM, John