Subject: [Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD
From: abridge683 at fastmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:17:21 -0700

No, they aren?t all manufactured in China, Nathan. Where did you get this
idea?

Most of WD?s drives are manufactured in Malaysia where literally fleets of
747s cart them away. SE Asia is definitely the place to manufacture gear
like this.

The reported issue with Seagate drives a while back came from faulty
firmware in the drive, as I recall, not from the drive mechanicals.

It?s astounding that magnetic recording is still following its growth curve
after all these years as new understanding/new materials/new techniques
allow information density to continue to increase.

Adam

Replies: Reply from nwajsman at gmail.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Backup hardware: USB3 HDD)