Subject: [Leica] Sensor corrosion?
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:40:16 -0500 (CDT)

Allow me to turn around this argument...

Products that have lots of mechanical parts are prone to those parts
wearing, failing and when that happens, repair is required to setvstuff
straight.

Electronics works differently:  ifitial failure rates are usually higher
than mechanical, but after about 100 hours, whatever is going to fail has
already failed. You pretty much have a bulletproof product..

If you want a camera that will not fail you for many years and keep
calibration throughout those yesrs, you need to get an all electronic
camera.  Is something like a Sony A7. Or that Fuji xt-1.

The sensor corrosion issue is caused by a Kodak sensor that was covered by a
Schott (not sure, but I think this is right) cover plate that had a coating
that would corrode when exposed to humidity. Was who!se fault?
Schott should have known, Kodak should have tested it, and Leica should have
further tested.
But the real issue is what the coompany does sfter the problem is known..
Leica has really stepped up to the plate. Full repair at no cost. What more
can you ask?

Try getting a free repair if the RF Vertical offset goes out on that same
M9. Ain't going to happen after the warranty runs out.

Inagree that the Leica prices are nuts. Especially for amateurs. But once
you own the glass, the only time you need to spend money is when your lust
takes over. I run an M9. You run an M8. We both bought them used for
substantially less than the new price.

When will I replace my M9?  When it dies, or when my lust takes over for a
fully electronic Camera, using the Leica M lenses, comes to market.

I tried the Fuji XE-1. Thevcrop faactor negates my use of WA lenses,
although it makes a superb backup camera on trips..
I tried with the Sony A7. It has issues with the WA lenses I tend to use.
Not the best solution, although the focusing of this combo is superb..

Would I buy a Leica again?  Only if it fits my way of shooting.  Only if it
is totally digital.  Only it accepts my Leica glass.

Only if I can afford it

The sensor issue is a non issue with me.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net