Subject: [Leica] IMG: My friend the clarinetist
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 01:00:25 -0700

Jim: Different clarinet mouthpieces and barrels affect the sound quality.
They can emphasize or de-emphasize various harmonics in the spectrum. It's
part science, part alchemy and part magical thinking. There are also
different length barrels as well.  But in a clarinet, tuning is primarily
done by pulling the mouthpiece and/or barrel in and out of the body of the
instrument slightly. Bassoonists have a similar preoccupation with bocals
(aka crooks)--the curved silver tube that goes between the reed and the
instrument.  We do have different length crooks for tuning, because pulling
a bocal in and out of the instrument doesn't really work.  And we all
obsess about reeds. A lot.

--Peter