Subject: [Leica] HDRitis?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 22:33:37 -0400

A guy showed me his pictures on his iPhone last year or maybe it was an ipad
and they were pretty ok at the end of his normal set of his best shots came
his HDR shots all grouped together at the end. Doing that was kind of a
smart move as  the HDR shots would certainly not not fit in with his normal
looking shots. His normal looking shots looked under processed not over.
I have a tiny bit of experience doing HDR combining two images together in
Photoshop and I think what came out in the end did not look like your
typical HDR Post-apocalyptic abomination. Normally with most things you do
in Photoshop their is a fade controll . Command shift f. so whatever you do
you can end up with only a  smaller percent of it. This even includes brush
strokes.  When you have two layers its obvious you can controll the opacity
of either layer.  And you can go back and so this the NEXT DAY. Why it is
that people are not able to controll their HDR I don't know. When you see I
the next morning after you've woken out of your HDR stupor after your cup of
coffee you should be able to go back and tone it down.  Perhaps its somehow
not possible to do this as no one seems in the mood to do it.

I'm just taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River Line
'Cause I'm in an HDR state of mind

On 8/5/15 7:00 PM, "Howard Ritter" <hlritter at bex.net> wrote:

> I think ?professor? is the operative word here. Professors of art are a
> species unto themselves.

As far as HDR goes, my humble opinion is that if you
> can tell HDR was applied, it?s too much. I?ve seen it applied judiciously
> (and
> used it myself) to make a photo more appealing, usually by bringing out
> shadows. But I back off when it?s apparent that I?ve used it.

OTOH, my son is
> a budding professional real-estate photographer. He shares my disdain for
> obvious HDR in anything else, but what we would regard as excessive HDR can
> work quite well as a service, not an esthetic, in real-estate photography
> when
> massaging an interior image, especially one with bright windows, even more
> especially if there?s an attractive view, in order to show all details in
> more
> or less the way that they would be perceived in person. Interesting how the
> awesome real-time dynamic range of the human visual mechanism gives us a
> perfectly normal-appearing (because it IS normal) view of a natural HDR
> scene,
> while an HDR?ed digital image of the same scene, capturing the same dynamic
> range, is off-putting to most of (all of?) us.

?howard