Subject: [Leica] Lifetime Achievement Award for Phil Tarver
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:11:41 -0500

Good photographers do sometimes get the recognition they deserve. Phil
Tarver was a young U.S. Navy aerial photographer in the South Pacific
during WWII.  After leaving the Navy, Phil was the first photographer
hired at Arnold Engineering Development Center in 1954, charged with
documenting the facilities and people of this new USAF ground test
facility.  His photographs with his trusty Nikon served to inform the
public and government officials in Washington of the importance of the
work being done here.  His images were found on the cover of Aviation
Week, and other influential publications, and won acclamation wherever
they appeared.  The images still grace the entry areas and conference
rooms of the complex, and are as impressive today as when they were created.

Last night, at the annual AEDC Fellows Banquet, Phil was inducted as a
Lifetime Achievement Fellow.  While he was surrounded by well wishers, I
was able to grab one snapshot.  When I spoke with him for a few moments,
he was complaining about the difficulty in obtaining film for his trusty
cameras.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Tarver+FM.tif.html

--
Jim Nichols