Subject: [Leica] Very green Wales
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 11:08:06 -0400

I?m sorry I missed the discussion about the overly saturated green in Tina?s
slides. We were traveling and I didn?t catch up on LUG posts until I
returned.
The green in the images is correct. At least as correct as Kodachrome
permits.
Wales, particularly our home area of Anglesey for a number of years, is the
greenest place I have ever been. A branch of the Gulf Stream washes the
Irish Sea between Wales and Ireland and contributes to the warmth and
humidity of the region. Palm trees grow in Bangor. Snow is a rarity except
on the highest reaches of the Snowdonia Mountains. The down side is the
rain. Bad for people but the botany loves it.
Here is an excerpt from a short book about our several years at the Univ. of
Wales (Bangor).
        "The Welsh Giant Vegetable Fair was held last week. During World War
II Welsh coal miners were encouraged to grow vegetables in their yards to
ease the food shortage. After the war, the miners kept their gardens and, as
so many gardeners do, started competing with each other to see who could
grow the best crops. Things are now out of hand. At our town fair there were
onions as big as footballs, a 19 and a half pound radish, two foot long
string beans, 69 pound cabbages and a 343 pound pumpkin. The grand prize was
won by a man who brought in a dozen three and a half foot long leeks. He
said his secret was using beer as a fertilizer.
        The leek, by the way, is the national emblem of Wales. No one knows
quite why. One legend has it that St. David, the patron saint of Wales,
advised Welsh soldiers to wear leeks in their caps when battling the Saxons
to easily distinguish friend from foe. The story gets a bit confused because
the word for daffodil and leek are the same in old Welsh. This suggests that
the soldiers may have worn yellow flowers in their caps instead of green
relatives of garlic, unless, of course the Saxons were from Transylvania.
This confusion explains why both leek and daffodil have been adopted as
national emblems.
        My wife is constantly amazed at the intense color of flowers in
Wales. They are far brighter than at home. At one point she suspected that
they were dyed, but our neighbor, a dedicated gardener, says not so. One
thing for sure, they certainly don't have a chance to bleach in the sun.
Here it is December, at a Labradorian latitude, and some flowers are still
blooming. Green thumbitis must be contagious. We just planted fifty
daffodils and jonquil bulbs. Such is our faith in the growing power of the
Welsh climate that we expect them to burst into brilliant bloom long before
Easter.?

Incidentally I am writing this on my new very portable laptop, an 11?
Macbook Air running OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite). Everything is different. It is
not your father?s Macbook. It is a wonderful laptop except for Photo,
Apple?s replacement for iPhoto. That sucks and I have not figured out a way
to get a decent replacement for the Mac Air.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Very green Wales)