Subject: [Leica] Be a photographer
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:34:02 -0700

Sonny Carter OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Be a photographer

"Documentary photography and journalism is a thing which goes way back."
When I got my first job taking pictures (1965), we were called "news
photographers."

Did not matter if we were shooting for a newspaper, wire service, or TV.
Sometimes "news cameramen"   (that went away when more women came into the
job.)

They like to call themselves "Photo-Journalist" these days.

I do believe there's a fine but perceptible difference between a "Street
Photographer" and a "News Photographer"

It is called "paycheck."<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Sonny,
When I began "shooting for a newspaper, Sept. 17/ 1951 first news photo
published front page of the Ottawa Citizen newspaper in Canada's capital. I
was always "VERY PROUD" of being called and calling myself a...
"NEWS-PHOTOGRAPHER"! I saw and felt it was a kind of badge of honour to be
called one for quite a number of years and working for and being paid by the
"NEWSPAPER!"  YOU BELONGED TO A NEWS ORGANIZATION AND WERE BEING PAID FOR
WORKING AS A NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER!!

Then somehow that wasn't good enough for some of the news lads and they
became.... "PHOTOJOURNALISTS!" Even though their assignments maybe a few
daily news paper shoots each day and rarely any in-depth assignments.

Oh well to each his own moniker!  By then my career had moved a major step
or two in relation to owning and operating my own company and shooting for a
great number of clients. So not working for newspapers any longer. I became
a "Photojournalist!"

"As in someone who shot month long or longer documentaries and magazine type
photo essays, short documentaries and many major sports events, OLYMPICS,
summer & winter, Commonwealth Games, Pan-Am Games involving North & South
America continents. And an endless number of well paying clients in many
many avenues of the required photographic world!

But those today and during the past few years whom refer to themselves as
"STREET PHOTOGRAPHERS?" are a joke! Most have never ever shot a "PAYING
ASSIGNMENT IN THEIR LIVES!" Quite simply because they're not real
photographers in the first place! And pure dumb luck that they catch a good
photo moment let alone being paid for same! If it ever happens?

By the same token as this topic is evolving into a babbelfest really going
nowhere. However interesting in a historical vain. I thought I'd throw in "A
real life story" in the real world of being a news photographer! Or
photojournalist. Certainly when it was marvellous to be a photog and
working! BUT most importantly .......... "BEING PAID, BECAUSE YOU WERE A
"REAL PHOTOGRAPHER!"  ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)

---