Subject: [Leica] Critiques
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 11:36:31 -0400

Tina,

I look at the photos on the LUG, particularly yours. I enjoy them. Sometimes
when I have something positive to say I am glad to share my feelings. But, I
almost never post anything which would qualify as a critique in the sense
one might get if one were in graduate school.

There are several reasons for this. The first is that I am not qualified. I
am not a professional editor, photographer, or teacher. I am under no
illusions about my skill level. I have been in Master Classes with world
class musicians such as Yo-Yo Ma where I have seen someone say in an
insightful sentence or two something which improved the students playing for
a lifetime. I just do not have that skill set.

I am a coward. I hate conflict. Flame wars have the ability to her me
profoundly upset. I have been involved in two in my lifetime. There will not
be a third. I simply will not post anything which has the slightest
possibility if getting me involved in one of the verbal contests the
internet is famous for. If there is something constructive yet negative
which needs to be said I am reluctant to be the one to say it.

I do not know how much time people typically look at a photograph or a
painting and I do not know how much time an average person spends studying a
pogo of a painting. But, if watching people in a museum is any indication
the answer is not a whole lot. If someone takes a moment to post a simple
comment or to hit the like button that in and of itself tells you something.
You made an impression. That is a useful piece of information. I don't, by
the way, think that the converse is true. Silence may not tell you all of
that much because as a species we are all too often guilty of forgetting to
utter a kind word even when doing so would have made a big difference.

It was my birthday two weeks ago. I have not sent out my thank you notes
yet. I am as guilty of this as anyone.

Thanks,

Barney

Barney Quinn, WK3Z