Subject: [Leica] Critiques
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:45:26 +0100

I second Philippe's QRY tag, but, in truth, we're all grown up here - as
photographers anyway - and should be capable of deciding whether a picture
is better in black and white or colour, and whether we have the best crop of
it or not. Also, we should be capable of deciding which of two, three or
four pictures of virtually the same subject is the best one. Part of being a
photographer is those decisions, even though it leaves some of us open to
the pithy comment made by Margot Asquith on Stafford Cripps "He has a
brilliant mind, until he makes it up"

I do try to look at every picture - good, bad, or indifferent - submitted to
the Lug, and sometimes comment if I have the time. I never ask for comments
on my own pictures. If they happen, they happen. I'm in a camera club over
here and used to enter competitions when I had the time. If my photo won, it
won, if it didn't, it didn't, and I could generally see why the better
picture won.

As I've said before, I would imagine that most people on the list are busy,
and probably have difficulty getting the time to take pictures themselves,
process them, etc., etc., let alone comment on other people's pictures. To
expect them to give comments regarding basic stuff that the photographer
should decide themselves is - in my opinion - presumptuous to a fault.

On that precious thing - time, I'm only just starting to have a look at the
photos that I took when I went to France last year, and I'm retired!!! I
have to admire some of the great photographers on this list who consistantly
capture great images from their lives and show them here for the benefit of
all of us. After all, every photograph has at least an audience of one - the
photographer - and it's nice to be allowed the privilege of seeing some
images via the Lug that otherwise we might never see.

Apologies for rambling on...

Douglas