Subject: [Leica] On the Road to Japan - Airbus 380's
From: billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 00:43:41 -0500

It is so big, in fact that special considerations are required for the plane
to service a route. The runway and taxiways have to support its weight, and
it requires gates separated farther apart than for other aircraft. It
requires special "jet bridges" and more of them. All the requirements are
fiscally burdensome and airports and their operating authorities are
generally not willing to spend the money required for so few daily flights,
so if an airline wants to use the 380, it has to pony up the cash for
airport upgrades, thus relegating the potential customer pool to the
emirates and such. It is unlikely that Airbus will recover the development
costs amortized over so few sales.