Subject: [Leica] For Sale: pristine Nocti .95
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 01:53:28 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Rabiner

> Just insane Steve.
>When we think about getting a new lens or other gear we research it
>extensively on the internet often starting with the manufactures stated
>specs. Then the >specs which other people are publishing. You can line with
>up as direct comparisons. There's dxomark.  MTF charts. Erwin Puts books
>and website

I have Erwins books....

 >If you'd like I can talk quite lucidly with you about the Noct 1.2. A lens
 >I've seen personally once but have read about extensively over decades.
 > We talked about this lens once for quite awhile over a dinner table in a
 > dark steakhouse in San Antonio with Sherry K. and Jim Marshall in 2001.
> Jim was going to buy the lens as he heard it was better and was more
> compact.
 > Sherry and I talked him out of it. Its not better. It's worse on all
 > accounts.

Odd, my Puts books show that the f1.2 is sharper wide open, particularly in
the corners and not much between them at f5.6. I know somebody on this list
has personal experience of this being the case.

 > I really had my facts down on the history of Noctilux glass then because
 > I had just got one for myself. A lens which I left on my camera without
> taking off for a year and made 16x20 fiber archival prints of my finders
> which I rolled up and sent to them all over the world for their holiday
> stocking stuffers. I shot thousands or rolls of film with my Noctilux.
> Mainly Fuji Neopan 1600 which I souped in Xtol 1:3.

Uh huh, so how much fine detail did you get with that compared to say K25?
Slight difference between 35mm 1600 asa film and an M9/240/Monochrom for
finding a lenses limitations ;-)

 > I often used a yellow green or dark green filter with it so I'd not have
 > to stop down so much or at all.
 > I found Noctilux use to be all about F 1000th of a second and be there.
 > You have you shutter speed set at 1000th of a second and you hope you
 > don't have to stop down too much if at all. As its very much about a
> tight selective focus mind set.
 > I can talk about the history of Noctilux and any aspect you want to talk
 > about Noctilux till the cows come home. If you don't like it don't read
 > it.
 > George seems to think my experience with the Noctilux is completely
 > invalid and I should just shut up became I shot film and not digital.

And many people who have shot on both say that digital is very different....

 > Really pretty funny.
 > Some real narrow small minded sectarian thinking going on on the LUG.
 > At least no ones correcting my spelling.

 Not how I think of George or Steve ;-)

John

On 4/4/15 7:25 PM, "Steve Barbour" <steve.barbour at gmail.com> wrote:

> what I am interested in here Mark, is your pure opinion without facts,
> about very expensive leica lenses, that you desire, but have never
> used, importantly you resent another's opinion about these lenses,
> generally that they own and have used?..

I sense that you resent that they have the lenses and you
> don?t?. Please correct me if I am wrong.
did I forget anything?

You may
> wish to borrow or rent them, to form a basis for an opinion.

Steve

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] For Sale: pristine Nocti .95)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] For Sale: pristine Nocti .95)