Subject: [Leica] Anya, Karina and me
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 15:10:25 -0700

Nathan: Regarding the problem of running out of buffer space with multiple
shots, which you found a deal-breaker:  My initial comments were too
pessimistic. Performance is much better than two or three shots--I was too
shy about shooting when the red light was blinking.

Actually, I can have 10-12 20MB shots in the buffer at once. Because JPG is
involved (shooting JPG Fine + RAW), the write times are affected by how
much detail the JPG algorithm in the camera has to crunch.  This probably
includes noise/grain, so 2500 will likely have longer write times and
bigger files than 1250.  At effective 1250, each single shot appears to
clear the buffer in about 9-12 seconds.

When I single-shot a frame every 2-3 seconds, the buffer filled up and
refused to take any more shots after the 12th ("Attention: Data Transfer!"
message on LCD).  On another run, shooting in continuous mode (faster), the
buffer was full after 10 shots.  In each case it took the buffer 1:42 to
completely empty (starting from the first shot). But once one shot had
cleared the buffer, the Data Transfer message disappeared and I could take
another shot.

So a good rule of thumb is that each shot will take an average of 10
seconds to clear the buffer, and you can have 10 of the 20 MB RAW+JPG fine
frames in the buffer at any one time. Shooting in single-shot mode, you'll
fill the buffer in one dozen shots, after which you can only take one shot
every 10 seconds until the buffer empties further.

In practical terms, the buffer filling up is an issue, but not a
deal-breaker for me.  We can certainly shoot as fast as we shot non
motor-driven film Leicas most of the time.

--Peter

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant at
gmail.com>