Subject: [Leica] RIP My Newspaper
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 15:50:02 -0400

Frank you're right and the education in the US is a national disgrace if
anyone cared and they don't.  And the high level of anti intellectualism.
Having a favorite author, poet or artists is looked upon with suspicion. As
is just reading intelligent book. There's a huge thing on "the schoolhouse"
as if this is a basic value. its not. Its the last place any money is going
to. Teachers get less than the janitors.
We live in a society where stupidity is treasured.
I don't think its like that in Europe and Asia etc.
Yet we lead the world in many important areas. I have no idea how that
happens.

When the internet hit we started getting news feeds on our home pages of our
browsers.. My first browser was Netscape  and the big thing I put on the top
of my page was International news. Under that smaller was US News. Then art
and high tech news.
Now I have an old version of Safari and I have which I picked :
Top Stories, (which I think is both international and US news.)
New York, New York
Suggested for you
the arts what's happ...
Day in Photos
Books
Physics
Entertainment
Nikon
Apple Inc.
Leica
World
Technology
Science
U.S.
Photography
Spotlight
Health
Business
New York Fashion

And then I have my list of news sources on a menu which I've already posted.
I go down the list in order or skip around depending on my mood in the
morning on my first cup of Russian Caravan Tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Current_events
http://www.observer.com/
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/manhattan/upper-west-side-morningside-height
http://www.westsiderag.com/
http://westsidespirit.com/
http://www.newrepublic.com/
http://www.bbc.com/news/
http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/
http://www.usatoday.com/
http://nymag.com/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
http://gawker.com/
http://www.nypost.com/
http://www.villagevoice.com/
http://www.cnn.com/
http://online.wsj.com/home-page
http://www.bloomberg.com/
http://www.brooklynpaper.com/
http://www.newsday.com/
http://www.antonnews.com/roslynnews.html
http://www.evesun.com/
http://www.columbiaspectator.com/
http://www.columbiajournalist.org/
http://www.dailykos.com/
http://www.newyorker.com/
http://www.cjr.org/
http://www.dnainfo.com/
http://www.nyphotoreview.com/NYPR_REVS/NYPR_REV907.html
http://glencoe.suntimes.com/index.html
http://winnetka.suntimes.com/
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/
http://www.stltoday.com/
http://www.websterkirkwoodtimes.com/
http://www.portlandsocietypage.com/
http://www.nwexaminer.com/
http://www.latimes.com/
http://nationaljournal.com/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/
http://www.vanityfair.com/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/
http://www.latimes.com/
http://news.yahoo.com/
http://www.npr.org/
http://news.cnet.com/
http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn
http://www.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.zimbio.com/
http://news.yahoo.com/
http://www.latimes.com/
http://video.nytimes.com/video/playlist/technology/david-pogue/1194811622273
/index.html
http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/usstate/usnewyor.htm
http://www.nyphotoreview.com/index.html
http://www.theparisreview.org/
http://www.greenwichtime.com/
http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2013/
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/manhattan/upper-west-side-morningside-height
http://www.theguardian.com/us
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/l
http://nationalreport.net/
http://www.playbill.com/

All in all I'm I'm sure less informed than President Obama. But not by much.
Its a great waste of time keeping up with current events for the most part.

On 4/3/15 4:04 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I fear you are typical Mark. I find it really scary that the most powerful
> nation on earth?s voters are more interested in their neigbours aircon than
> world affairs, personally.
The UK was the ?Worlds police? for a couple of
> hundred years, up to being bankrupted by WW2, and it was an important part
> of
> school syllabus here to know and understand the geography and history of
> different parts of the world. The decisions were clearly biased and not
> always
> good, but were certainly much better informed than now that the USA is the
> ?Worlds police? and has voters neither interested in, nor informed about,
> the
> parts of the world their young men are being sent to die in.
Really should be
> in the forum so that is enough from me.
Frank