Subject: [Leica] Question to Lew Schwartz
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400

Not really. I have determined that the histogram & clipping indicators
are dead on vis-a-vis what comes out of the printer, which is a good
thing because it tells me that if I'm going for a dark, moody look on
the monitor, I'm going to have a very, too dark print. I have to trust
histo & clips. OTOH, I do use 3 party inks and carts and I noticed
that the filters that are supposed to be letting dust free air into
the cart must be clogged or too slow. How do I know this? I had a very
weird print or two come out, and testing showed that the flow of photo
black wasn't merely restricted .... there was NO black in at all on
those prints! The was confirmed by 2 power cleanings: no black at all.
After some hours of planning how to throw the damned thing out of the
window, I knew that no ink would come out if no air could get in, but
there were the filters, all in place exactly where they belonged.
Eventually, I saw that the filters could be clogged as well; I pulled
the black filter and voila ... I was able to print the exhibition
prints I originally set out to do some days before. These weren't
color prints.

Following up, I pulled all the filters and noticed that the luminances
and saturations corresponded way better to what I saw in the LR
control panels, etc .... this means that I've got to do the custom
profiling all over again as soon as I have time. So there's still hope
... but not too much I think.

-Lew Schwartz