Subject: [Leica] For Sale: Bargain Kodak Retina IIIc
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:10:52 -0500

Get one of the best 50mm Lenses of the 1950s?a superlative Schneider?with
an interesting camera attached.  The Kodak Retina IIIc, made between 1954
and 1958, incorporated some pretty nifty features: integrated selenium
meter with LVS system, completely folding front, exposure prevention when
camera is closed, subtractive film counter, ability for accessory lens
components, full X synch with Compur shutter.  I?ve used this camera and
have loved it?in fact, my first ?good? camera was a used IIIc, purchased
about 1974.  These things were made like tanks.

There are some of the usual Retina IIIc caveats:  the selenium meter, while
it responds to light, varies in accuracy.  60 year old selenium meters
usually require some attention, even if they?re not dead.  The Compur
shutter has the typical slow speed slowness, though it seems to be fine
(and my exposures are on target) above 1/30th. The viewfinder is typical
IIIc, that is to say a bit dim, though the diamond-shaped rangefinder is
spot-on.  In other words, if these things are an annoyance, you?d probably
be able to have them addressed with a competent CLA. Comes with the leather
case and an incident reading diffuser for the selenium meter.  Reason for
selling: I just acquired a Retina IIIC (large C), made between 1958-60,
which has a larger viewfinder.  Bargain price is $50 plus $10 shipping in
CONUS, or come by my house in Philly and pick it up in person.  Please
reply OFFLIST to jshulman at judgecrater dot com.  Paypal accepted.  First
to come up with the dough gets it.