Subject: [Leica] more info on the M9 3rd party battery mystery
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:58:53 -0500

So ?. I?d bought four 3rd party batteries for the M9, all of which had more
mAh?s than the 1860 that the OEM batteries have ? ?how cool I thought,
they?ll last longer? ? this is the case with 3rd party batteries of larger
capacities that I have for Nikon & Panasonic cameras.

Imagine my surprise when the non-OEM M9 batteries showed to be dead in the
camera after a few minutes or hours, imagine my greater surprise when I
tested these dead batteries that couldn?t power up the camera with a
volt-meter and found them nearly fully charged.

Based on input from a lugger, I tried draining the batteries completely,
then recharging them to 100% and putting them in the the camera ? where they
worked perfectly and lasted longer than the OEM battery.

No idea why this happens, well, I have some idea, but it?s all vague.
Thoughts from electrical engineers?

(additional news: someone just right now told me that the m9 sometimes
erroneously reads ?the battery state readout? and that pressing ?set? when
you get the ?battery dead? message will recalibrate this)

(additional additional news: someone else just forwarded me a thread from
preview where people are reporting the exact same problem with OEM
batteries. The plot thickens.)

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] more info on the M9 3rd party battery mystery)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor) ([Leica] more info on the M9 3rd party battery mystery)