Subject: [Leica] Leica is now selling pre-brassed cameras so every couch potato can look like a badass journalist
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:32:15 -0800

Of course, as silly as it sounds, it provides Leica with a valuable revenue
stream that may not exist otherwise, at no expense to those who'd buy the
ordinary M or M-P.

Aside from the different focussing ring design on the Summilux-M 50mm, it
probably just takes a few hours with a buffing wheel to create the look.
The pre-worn parts may even be made in Portugal, no? So, it might cost
Leica an extra $100 each to make these, but might get an extra $10,000 in
profit. With 125 sets to be made, that's $1.25M. That's enough to hire
several engineers for a year. That money would be pumped back not just to
the shareholders, but to R&D, as well. That helps keep  the company in a
healthier financial state in the long run.

It's the same thing as what General Motors does to make Cadillac Escalades,
which are basically pick-up trucks with a fancier look and a box. It
satisfies the desire of certain customers, and brings a huge amount of
dough into the coffers. I see it as a win-win situation.