Subject: [Leica] Peter Lik¹s Recipe for Success: Sell Prints. Print Money. - NYTimes.com
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:37:21 -0500

There's a photo of his in the canyon with smoke and light which is vaguely
familiar.
And his name, Peter Lik, is not. Which is much of the point.

In the art world I've always recognized a separate market. I call it the
Palm Springs Market. Guys with tacky gold chains and white shoes who drive
fancy sports cars with young thin wives with very high heels. They seem to
go for the most tasteless stuff and special galleries handle it as others
won't. Like a big print of Frank Sinatra's mug shot when he was young
selling for twenty thousand dollars. That kind of stuff. Little statues for
your coffee table of sexy girls.
The whole idea is ostentatious display of wealth. Very often the stuff is
sexy. But the idea is how expensive it is more than what the art world
considers its value to be.
Its a shame this guy working out of Las Vegas has brought this to
photography. I would say its an embarrassment to photography but I think its
really just an embarrassment to himself and his clients.

But fine art photography is doing well. And it needs to be brought down. So
is the perception. It needs to be shamed and belittled. I think it can
weather it.

I liked how Matt actually commented on this instead of just laying a bare
URL bomb on us.

On 2/21/15 10:22 PM, "Matt Kollasch" <matt at kollarfoto.com> wrote:

> Peter Lik
? is, as my father used to say, "laughing all the way to the bank."
> In my
mind if you are IN Caesars Palace you ARE the joke.? But what do I know,
am no Peter Lik, a man rich in confidence. Never heard of him till
> this
article,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/peter-liks-recipe-for-suc