Subject: [Leica] 35 1.4
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:18:36 -0500

?For the M system there is today almost no alternative to the Distagon T*
1,4/35 ZM. It is the best ZM lens that you can get under these conditions,?
assures Christophe Casenave, Product Manager with ZEISS Camera Lenses."
Zeiss site.

The ZM cost 2.2 grand
The Leica M cost 5 grand.

When Zeiss comes out with a 35mm 1.4  lens which cost 5 grand it will most
certainly give Leica a run for its money.
As is its a Cosina lens which everyone having just saved three grand will
claim is "just as good as the Leica". We don't have to ask a fortune teller
to figure that out" the differences will be declared minimal. And three
grand will be bulging out of someone's pants pocket.
Notice the Product Manager with ZEISS Camera Lenses isn't saying it beats or
even competes with the Leica he says" It is the best ZM lens that you can
get under these conditions,?
In other words if you want the best Ford car buy a Ford.
A tidbit we've all secretly known.
So which is better "The Zeiss" or the Leica?
We can wait three months when someone gets their hands on one to not find
out.

You can get a Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* for 4 grand and compare it
against the Leica 50mm 1.4  comparably priced and you will get an
interesting comparison.
http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/zeiss-otus-55-versus-leica.html
The Otus in this case has specs never before seen in any lens in the history
of the Milky Way. But is three times the weight and bulk of any competition.
Under those conditions I'd say the Leica won.
The Otus it should not need to be said was really made by Zeiss.
And if you ask the product manager I'd bet he'd say its better than the
Leica.

But I'd like to see the Otus compared to the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm
f/2.0 ASPH Lens  which cost 8 grand. Just to compare the specs. I'm thinking
the Leica may beat. "The Zeiss".