Subject: [Leica] Leica blocking 3rd party batteries in firmware?
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:45:13 -0800

Kyle, there is a lot of information and mythology floating around about
batteries for the M8/M9 series.  Leica, of course, recommends you use only
their branded batteries, which, like most Leica things, cost more than they
should. Some of the early third-party batteries didn't have sufficient
capacity (1400 mah instead of 1800), and caused problems.  Some of the
early shutter and firmware issues were confused with battery issues,
muddying the waters.  These days, as long as you get a battery with 1800 or
1900 mah capacity, they should work.  But, as others have noted, non-Leica
batteries will sometimes measure low in the camera when they are in fact
fully charged.  Usually this happens if the battery is recharged when it is
not fully exhausted.

I have used both Leica-branded batteries and third-party batteries, and the
latter do behave this way, but work just fine. I've gotten into the habit
of using them until the little three-bar display on the M8 disappears,
leaving only the battery symbol present. That's discharged enough. If I get
a low battery message, I just remove the battery, wait 30 seconds of so,
then replace the battery.  That usually does the trick, and the camera
displays full charge.

Only once have I had to actually drain a battery, which I did by turning
the auto-sleep off, displaying something on the LCD, and going to bed. Next
morning, problem solved.  I've heard of people discharging the battery with
a flashlight lamp or LED to the same effect (pins 2 and 4 I believe, but
easily determined with your trusty voltmeter).

As a working pro, you may not want the uncertainty of using 3rd party
batteries, in which case you'll have to pay the freight for gen-you-wine
Leica batteries.  Then again, the tricks outlined above work well most of
the time, and for many of us the savings are worth it. If you always carry
3 batteries, you're going to be OK. If you're a situation where you can't
afford a low battery delay, just put a fully-charged battery in the camera,
and run down the partially discharged one later when you things are more
casual.

Hope this helps!
--Peter