Subject: [Leica] Long term M7 satisfaction?
From: zeissler at mac.com (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:38:29 -0500

This is to all the M7 users out there.

I've been searching high and low online for anecdotes of long term M7
reliability and satisfaction (and I'm talking years, not a few days, weeks,
or months).  I know about the early issues with the mechanical DX reader,
the switch to the MP viewfinder later in production, etc.  What I'm
interested in is whether the M7 is more/same/less reliable than an M6, M6
TTL, or MP, particularly the electronically controlled shutter curtains.
Anytime I read about an M7 issue, it's usually followed by a dog pile of
non-M7 users just dragging it through the mud ? like it's the modern version
of the M5.

I've got an M7 and like it, though I've only had it for a few months (it has
the optical DX reader [useless for my bulk loaded film] and the MP
viewfinder upgrade).  I've also got an MP and like it.  I bought both used
in great condition, each at an excellent price, and they both date back to
2002-2004.

I recently discovered that my primary hand meter (a Sekonic L-308DC) doesn't
measure nearly as well in very low light as the M7 does.  Actually, the hand
meter didn't measure anything at all (ISO 50 @ f/1.2), while the M7 gave a
reading of 3.5 seconds.  I've since confirmed this repeatedly; once the
light gets dim, the M7 begins to really shine and is able to shots I simply
cannot obtain with the MP.  I've got other hand meters and have tested them
with the same results.

Up to this point I've been leaning toward the MP and hand meter combo as my
primary camera.  I'm asking because whichever route I go ? MP, M7, or the
new M-A ? I'll want a second body of the same model.  That way I can have a
different emulsion in each camera (B+W in one and color in the other), and
one body can always be used as a backup whenever the other is being
serviced.

So based on the low light metering, I'm now flip-flopping on the M7 and
whether to rely on it as my main camera.  An M7 would give me all sorts of
benefits that the other M bodies would not, but it seems to be treated like
the red-headed step-child of the modern M cameras.

What is your experience with the M7?  Has it had the same level of
reliability as the M6 or other M bodies?

If you don't want an M7 dog pile here, please send me a response privately ?
either way, I'd like to hear about your long term M7 experience.

Mitch Zeissler
===
Website: http://exploratorius.us

Replies: Reply from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] Long term M7 satisfaction?)