Subject: [Leica] IMG: The Biggest Camera I Ever Used
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 01:40:49 -0500

I was hired to teach Process Camera use to graphic artist students at Mt.
Hood Community college in Troutdale Oregon in the late 80's I think it was.
So I was one chapter ahead of my students and had to be told what a process
camera was. Or maybe I knew.
Its a camera which takes up two rooms usually. Its "back" is a whole
darkroom.
And it used "Apo" lenes long before any were found on a normal camera.
It was an interesting way to re orient myself to my normal darkroom
techniques.
Paper negative. Paper positive, film negative, film positive.
This was a clear way of thinking about things.
Its back was I think a bit bigger than 20x24 inches.
I loved the thing. Wanted one. Almost got one.
Photoshop replaced them I think.
Its called reprographics instead of photographic.
While Reprography was needed then for plate making and publication layout
copying its now  small industry in the US for large and wide format copying
of architectural, engineering, manufacturing, retail, and advertising
industries.

A very handy camera to have in your basement I always thought.
You know when you're looking at your Formica kitchen table and it looks like
wood but its really a large photograph of wood? That kind of thing.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer