Subject: [Leica] M9 sensor, 35mm frame lines
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:40:00 -0800

Yesterday I was using an Eclipse kit to clean my M9 sensor. After going
through three of my four remaining swabs and the routine of shooting the
blue sky and again inspecting the result in LR, I bit the bullet and had
Keeble and Shuchat do a $60 cleaning; they also use Eclipse.

They phoned me this morning to say that there was some permanent strange
stuff at the bottom of the sensor. I told them to ship it to Leica. They
said ?no charge? for the cleaning.

I went back and looked at the sky image in LR. I had been methodically
scanning in the Develop Module and didn?t realize that I had missed a very
narrow band at the bottom. It was a virtual rainbow of colored dots. Had I
seen that, I wouldn?t have even started the repeat cleaning.

I don?t see much sense in having Leica replace the sensor with another one
that will do the same thing. I?ll probably accept whatever offer they make
for an M and will put my spare (Leica) M9 battery up for sale.

I do have a question about Eclipse cleaning. The previous time that I
cleaned my sensor, I did exactly what the Eclipse video shows: go across the
sensor in one direction, return in the other direction, and you?re done. If
a repeat treatment is needed, new swab. What about carefully returning the
swab to it?s plastic envelope and re-using it for the next try? What say,
Richard Man? What do you do?

Finally I want to mention another thing that surprised me. Because the 35mm
pre-ash Summicron is usually in the camera, it was hard to photograph sky
without a roof top or a tree getting in the picture. So, I would take two
shots, one where I was sure the the objects on the right were not in the
frame and one with the left side supposedly clear. What I discovered was
that a hell of a lot of space outside of the frame lines get in the picture.
This ordinarily wouldn?t bother me; I do my framing (cropping) in LR. But it
surprised me, considering Leica?s claims for accuracy.

I finally did what I should have done in the first place (no brains at all),
and used my 90mm lens for sky shooting.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204