Subject: [Leica] Any recommendations prints on gatorboard?
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:27:26 -0800

Well I'm going to start getting back into printing and mounting in January.
I think I'm going to expand on an idea of Paul Roark's and just mount on
archival matte or gator board with, perhaps a protective spray. Stick that
on a wall.

I like to photograph and print. I don't like to frame with plexiglass/glass
fronts and make frames. Diy framing is a PITA. PAYING someone  to do large
prints is outrageously expensive.

I just don't really care what the "art world" calls standard. The framers
get the money if it sells or not, and I get a few hundred bucks if one sells
and am stuck with the costs of the other frames. If a viewer doesn't like
the freaking frame the print won't sell. I know this from experience.

So there it will be; a bare assed print. Sells or not but only the cost of
the print and board. Plus you really see the print. It's as intimate as it
gets. Books are tempting too but you can't go wall sized.

And more time for capturing light. Conventional standards don't benefit the
photographer or enhance the interaction of the viewer one bit: only benefits
the framers and gallery owners who couldn't care a less about the image:
only if it sells.

Fighting a cold so please forgive any grouchiness. I may not sell anything
but I won't go broke in the process. And if presentation is the primary
factor for a print selling, well that certainly ain't very satisfying!
G'nite all. :-)

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Any recommendations prints on gatorboard?)