Subject: [Leica] IMG: stacked extenders!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:58:04 -0800

Hi Guys,

I can't help asking?  "Do you guys go through all these number things when
you stack extenders and shoot images??????

Or do you use MY routine?

Me? I had a 280mm f2.8 R lens. Plus 1.4 extender & 2X extender.

Shot lots with only the 1.4 extender and many with the 2X only!  But never
both connected at the same time! :-)

Then one day I asked myself?  "I wonder what it would look like if I put
them both on at the same time??"   Did so while carelessly using a tripod!"

Yes that's right sometimes I did use a tripod. ;-)

SO WHAMITY-BAMB! I lock them all together, looked through the camera and
??????? "HOLY COW DOES THAT EVER LOOK COOL AND I BLASTED AWAY HAVING FUN AND
capturing some cool rock and fern stuff. "ROCKS and FERNS???" Can you
believe that? Jeeeeesh! ME! But some looked kinda cool. However threw them
all away as there wasn't anyone looking for nor buying rock and fern stuff!
:-)

Then later in the office I thought?  ......... "I wonder if you could damage
the lens or extenders stacked like that? In a sort of "wondering silent
panic" NO LUG IN THOSE DAYS!
So I telephone the LEICA techs in Toronto.

"Question? Re-possible damage? You know my 280 2.8 with the extenders? If I
lock them together all at the same time can I or would I do any damage?"

SERVICE REP:
"  Oh you should never do that as it will spoil the final "LEICA IMAGE!"
Me?  "Really? Well I've already shot a bunch of stuff stacked like that and
they are incredible!"

SERVICE REP:
"We do not recommend you do that because of spoiling the great "LEICA IMAGE
QUALITY!" I suggest you do not stack them again simply because you will not
have the same quality results we achieve in our testing facilities!"

ME! " Have you ever stacked and shot them as I explain, so you could
actually see what and how fantastic the quality is?"

SERVICE REP:
"No never! As you will not have the LEICA QUALITY EXPECTED FROM YOUR LEICA
LENS!"

I wanted to respond............. "BULLSHIT!" The image is far more important
than the quality of your lens!" However, being an honourable gentleman I bit
my tongue and offered?   "Maybe you folks should give it a try some day! As
the images look quite fabulous!

Never bothered ever calling them about stuff like that ever again! As all
they know are the results off the test bench! NOT OUT IN THE REAL WORLD OF A
WORKING PHOTOJOURNALIST!" Certainly one who is a major user from hell and
back shooter!

Now lads? How often do you people go through all this number crap before you
start shooting your assignment for the magazine that's paying you $1000.oo a
day plus all expenses?????????? And other clients who paid you more?

JUST WONDERING? :-)

CHEERS,
Dr. ted :-)
=======