Subject: [Leica] Noctilux and Sony A7?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:55:34 -0500

"magical" yes or maybe but when you use a lens a normal or a wide with an M
you are using it with  a rangefinder focusing system many many times more
accurate than an SLR groundglass. And DSLR ground glasses are not even made
for self focusing.
I admit having shot extensively at f1 with my Noctilux I got in the summer
of aught one that seeing one through a nice groundglass might be an
interesting sensation. Also having the thing AF it for me might be
thrilling. ... And all in all make for some great results.
As Tina said a few days ago the thing about shooting f1 is you have to shoot
a bunch just to make sure you nail a few in the manner that you like for an
end result. Thing is I tend to do that anyway with just about any lens in
any situation. All digital camera by nature are rapid shooting as in motor
driven. Its easy enough to fire off a bunch.
The bottom line I think we are quick to discount or sell out the bases of
what Leica shooting is all about. Its mechanical rangefinder which came out
of the gate in 1932 with need of few tweaks down the succeeding decades.
I'm not sure the live view electronics are superior. And groundglass
shooting is what the world likes and has its advantages but die hard Leica
people tend like rangefinder shooting... Or what's the point?

On 12/12/14 12:52 PM, "Paul Roark" <roark.paul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is some information from a user of the a7r
> --

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52669514

Steve Huff: "...*the A7R
> and Leica 50 Noctilux F/1 ? Amazing combo. One can
find a used Leica Noctilux
> F1 for around $5k these days..add that to the
$1700 A7 and you have a drop
> dead gorgeous combo for less than the cost of
a Leica M alone. This lens works
> just as magical as it does on any Leica M
camera."
*http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/tag/sony-a7-leica/
<http://www.stevehuffphoto
> .com/tag/sony-a7-leica/> *

My guess from my experience with the a7r and the
> 50 f/2 Zeiss, as well as
what I've read on the internet over the last year, is
> that the corners will
not be quite as good as on a Leica due to ray angle, but
> it'll mostly be at
wide apertures and not be sever
> smearing.

FWIW