Subject: [Leica] [IMG] PESO: Storm Clouds building
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 19:27:53 -0800

Peter, that's a wonderful picture.  And Ted, that's what I call those
actions, too--dodging and burning.  A lot of what we do in our image
editors are just digital ways to do the stuff we did in the darkroom, so
why not call it that?  Making a mask is just like cutting holes in a piece
of cardboard or putting cut-out shapes on a piece of stiff wire. We
"expose" with a brush, or through the mask. The good news is that
"development" happens as we are exposing, so we don't have to waste so many
pieces of paper to get it right!  And then there are local contrast
adjustments, which are a lot like burning in through the highest contrast
Polycontrast filter, or even using potassium ferricyanide bleach on the
print with cotton balls and Q-tips.

There are a few new controls to learn, but we get finer control, and we
don't have to smell fixer until it makes us drunk...   :-)

--Peter