Subject: [Leica] How to take gear long-haul
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:15:07 -0800

Hi LUGers,

Next summer I?m following a college group on a service trip to Tanzania.
Mostly I?ll be documenting their work in several orphanages associated with
Benedictine monasteries in the south-west part of the country. We?ll also be
doing a bit of sight-seeing in Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar, and finishing up
with a week up near Kilimanjaro. It?s a month-long trip.

I?m honored to be the tag-along photographer!

I?m also intimidated about how to take a substantial amount of gear along
with me on the long flights. Fortunately I?m able to fly business class
(Delta/KLM) but I still am limited by carry-on.

I know there are folks who do this sort of traveling on an almost regular
basis. I?d really like to hear your advice on how to pack, what to take, and
what to take it IN.

My focus will be on the students, their interactions with their African
hosts, life at the monasteries. I have a reasonable selection of moderate to
fast primes. For the safari part I?m thinking of taking a ?super-zoom? small
camera that can shoot up to 1200mm (a Canon or Panasonic perhaps).

I?d gratefully value the communities? help. Maybe there?ll be something on
the ?Claus list!

Thank you!

Adam ?that?s a long time to hang in the air? Bridge

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] How to take gear long-haul)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] How to take gear long-haul)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] How to take gear long-haul)
Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] How to take gear long-haul)