Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Dublin pics
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:34:42 -0000

"philippe.amard" <philippe.amard at sfr.fr> wrote

As a patented frog myself I find the word order VERY interesting and
would like to know more about it.
<<<<

Philippe, nouns in Irish generally come before their qualifying adjective.
However, there is a grievious error on the sign as Stasiun na bPiarsach is
translated as Pearse Street Station, whereas it should be Pearse Station as
the station is named after the Pearse family (Patrick and Willie Pearse) and
their involvement with the rising against British rule at Easter 1916.

The poor signwriter was more than likely conned by the fact that Pearse
Street runs alongside the station, but there is no entrance to the station
from it. The entrance is on Westland Row and prior to 1966 the station was
called Westland Row Station. BTW, way back in 1834, the station was the
terminus for the first commuter rail line in the world.

The translation of English into Irish is always controversial, and it's even
hit the headlines today.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30044027

Douglas

Le 14 nov. 14 ? 21:03, Douglas Barry a ?crit :

> A sign at the corner of Merrion St., and Merrion Sqr. in Dublin  helps you
> with your Gaelic. Fuji X100S. See Large.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Bilingual.jpg.html
>
> The start of a crocodile of preschoolers in Merrion Sqr., Dublin.  Fuji
> X100S. See LARGE.
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/IncipientCrocodile.jpg.html
>
> Douglas

NO ARCHIVE