Subject: [Leica] More War
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 09:23:44 -0600
References: <CAFfkXxup2xH5A_gdXmit9CuHqFJ-mKQyn3zU+SqgLcH_Rh9kfg@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3coye5+g0Ai_FY-D1F1s-Nh9Z_H3ot6ve71E-+T_NbqQ@mail.gmail.com> <1C493A6E-4967-4C87-84E5-BB078F1E7879@gmail.com> <E91EF30B-E442-4EB0-848A-6F70EB94C832@icloud.com> <BE237EFA-2583-4C0F-A105-87B98464984D@gmail.com> <C999C93E-E883-4F89-9F47-AC5DE360CB13@icloud.com> <8F6C9BA0-2E48-4B47-8EA7-8CB3A9019821@gmail.com> <1D0AC47D-92CD-44A6-A07E-0DCCCB49F342@icloud.com>

I'm certain Anderson Scott has it dead on.   There IS that segment.  They
also live in Minnesota and Wisconsin, which is one of the reasons I really
should be sending this conversation to forum, but so far it seems OK.

You might have noticed in my photos that most of the images were of the
Union soldiers.  The backgrounder on that is that the Central Louisiana
group often portrays a Union Regiment in regional enactments, and most have
authentic uniforms for both armies.

Civil War re-enactment is popular in the South because the battles, with
the exception of Gettysburg, were fought in the South. (Depending on how
you view Maryland.)

The relics are all around us.  The battlefields tend to be our backyards.

A farmer friend has plowed up bits from a skirmish that happened one
morning in Cloutierville, part of the Red River Campaign.

It is probably more likely that you would run across a re-enactment group
in your parts engaged in remembering the Revolutionary War.

However, there are civil war groups up your way . . . (there are lots more)

http://www.musketsandmemories.net/

http://wadehouse.wisconsinhistory.org/CivilWarWeekend/EventOverview.aspx

and in the UK:

http://acws.co.uk/welcome.php

Germany:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/06/confederates-on-the-rhine/239724/

OZ:

http://www.usa-civil-war.com/Submissions/queensland.html

You get the picture by now.

I wasn't just being grumpy at bedtime when I responded to what I thought
was Jay's flippant post the way I did.  There's more to it, personally for
sure.

My interest is certainly not to glorify any cause; The more I understand of
what the machinery of Napoleonic fighting consisted of the more dreadful I
consider it.

?More later if I think of it.?

--
Regards,