Subject: [Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:23:24 -0700

I believe I've been here since the year 2000. I'd been shooting with a IIIf,
and was hoping to get back into the M system after many years absence. I
came for information about what older lenses were still viable. I stayed for
the photography and the great group of people I met.

Rangefinder photography is both a way of seeing and a way of being. That way
has been tied up with Leica for nearly a century. The lenses are superb, the
form factor works beautifully. You know what you've focused on, and you can
see what you shot while you shoot it. I really don't care about the bling
oriented marketing, and I do wish that the prices hadn't gone stupid
bleeping crazy. Fortunately, there is the used market, and keeping the
things you buy for a long time.

Like many, I've worked with other cameras as well. Like the famous Kyle
Cassidy, I learned digital playing with an early Nikon COOLPIX. In recent
years, some shoulder and eye problems made micro 4/3 cameras the line of
least resistance. There's nothing to apologize for ? they are versatile
little beasties, and the lenses, especially the primes, are pretty darn good.

But there's nothing quite like a Leica.  As you can see from my other thread
today, I'm coming back to my ancient M8 that the glitterati don't take
seriously anymore. And, there's the possibility that I will do something
(financially) stupid bleeping crazy in the foreseeable future. After all, an
M 240 or a Monochrom is less expensive than a little red sports car. :-)

--Peter, dictating to my iPad
(If it misconstrues, please excuse)

Replies: Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG?)
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG? - Peter K)