Subject: [Leica] Re Summaron f3.5 vs. Jupiter 12
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 20:37:12 -0400

 The Summaron f3.5 is a very old lens, the first Leica design after WW2. The
Jupiter 12 is even older and based on pre WW2 Zeiss design. I've used both
and they both deliver adequate results if you are not hypercritical. I even
still have a Summaron f3.5 with eyes that I use on my equally old Leica M3.
But if you want a more modern lens that outperforms either of the other two
try to find a Canon 35mm f2.8. This lens in an LTM mount was developed by
Canon for its late model cameras including the Canon 7. It is an updating of
the Canon Serenar 35mm lens. By actual test it is better than the Summaron
although not as good as the Leica ASPH lenses. Since Canon lenses have far
less market prestige it is likely to be considerably cheaper. Like a quarter
the price of a Summaron.
Larry Z