Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hanoi Traffic
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:57:22 +1000

Having just had some days in Beijing I can only echo Spencer's comments
about the organic flow. We were struck by the calmness of the traffic flow
which my wife described as liquid metal at all times, not to mention the
unfailing friendliness of each person we encountered though. Crossing the
road is best done in groups though as those are more likely to discourage
drivers from risking damage to their vehicles.

>From what I can see though leave all of the scooters there and replace 95%
of the bicycles with cars. Some 6 million of them in Beijing I am told,
with Government regulation that in theory ,only half of the cars may use
the roads on any given day (by some number plate filtering). Well funded
persons may have cars that fit both days of course.
I think that the 2008 Olympics may have been a transforming agent in that
change to many more cars actually. The Metro service is extremely good and
extremely cheap .One station to any other costs 2 Yuan (or about 30c or so)
and the buses even more ridiculously cheap.
 We managed about 3 smog free days in fact but for the rest it made LA look
like Wyoming or something!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman