Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:35:11 +0530

 My comment was strictly as an analysis of the marketing and pricing
decisions that Leica makes as a company, based on a lifetime of dissecting
company behaviour and decisions.  As I mentioned there, they seem to be
making all the right BUSINESS decisions - whether it is occupying high
margin niches, or special editions, or re-badging Lumix at a markup - to
ensure the long term survival of the company. IMHO, as I have mentioned
repeatedly, Hats Off to Kaufman & co for their marketing savvy and business
decision making.

The quality of Leica's products, by and large, is not in doubt! Neither is
Rolex and to a lesser extent, Montblanc, to take my previous examples. All
these brands also depend on an emotional response to sell, which is a fact,
whether you like it or not, and however you justify it. Nothing wrong with
that at all, it is the way of the world - and how the Madison Avenue gnomes
subliminally manipulate ALL of us! I have a partiality to IWC mechanical
watches and Japanese lacquer pens, for example, which is to my mind, is an
equally emotional reaction at its core. I accept that, and still buy the
products. Go figure.

Cheers
Jayanand