Subject: [Leica] source for mats and frames
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:15:06 -0400

http://www.americanframe.com

I just buy frames from them, since I cut my own mats. They custom-cut
Neilsen frames and they're very reasonably priced. Cheaper than many
premade frames, but a lot better quality. They cut mats too.

I have never tried American Frame's mats, but in my experience going to
rather high-priced frame shops, they all do shit work at high prices. Get
a mat cutter, and cut your own. I use a Logan 700SGM, which I bought
nearly 20 years ago and have cut thousands of mats with. Best $200 I ever
spent! The current model is the 750-1:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/logan-750-1-and-760-1-simplex-elite-mat-c
utters/

The price has not gone up much in all those years! Don't buy a cheap mat
cutter, it will frustrate the hell out of you. Archival mat board is
expensive, you don't want to ruin any of it...and the Logan cutter I use
is nearly foolproof.

I have a tutorial on matting and framing on my tutorial site:
http://crawfordphotoschool.com/framing/index.php

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography