Subject: [Leica] More images with MM and more
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:06:16 +0000
References: <1B63EDCB-5CE4-4A0A-93DE-D4FFC8148ACE@gmail.com> <000601cfd085$4f96bba0$eec432e0$@ca> <BA2A024F-404D-441C-AF2F-14EE2EAFC4F4@gmail.com> <CA+yJO1DL_eDcE3SmXD6+FGOw2sGSh=xsTjRTh+SKw=fBsbjuCA@mail.gmail.com> <0CD2CA9D-0303-4B46-8FED-5C59C90355D4@gmail.com> <64FB2207-6488-45E6-8C81-786E93D8C823@gmail.com> <7184CFD1-13B1-4BA2-8C1F-EAD9A772EF9B@gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9010E917D48@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org>, <97490650-D4BD-4D41-9646-3A474B22C17D@gmail.com>

I have Hoya MC for the coloured 46mm filters, I have seen focus changes on
21mm SEM, 35mm Summilux FLE and 50mm Summilux asph but I rarely stop down
more than f5.6 or f8

john

Lenses that have problems with colours can cause focus shifts with strong
filters (typically, red). Lenses that don't have to be refocussed much for
infrared don't exhibit the shift with red filters. Apo and many other well
corrected lenses that don't exhibit significantly different magnifications
for different colours don't have problems with good filters.

The latter part of that, the 'good filters' isn't as common among older
filters as you might think. Filters from the 50's very often didn't have
parallel faces, and this continued but slowly got better through the 90's.
Now all the major brands produce decent filters, but from the 50's...:-(.

Kodak and Tiffen series filters from the 50's have a reject rate (from me)
of about 90%. Tiffen got better in the 60's, but still have to be watched.
Leica have a reject rate from the 50's of less than 5%. Good filters from
the 60's include Leica, Nikon (most), most of the other German brands but
not many of the Japanese 'filter brands'. Harrison and Harrison, which made
a lot of filters for the movies, were fairly terrible, and I don't think I
ever saw a filter from them with parallel faces.

If the faces aren't parallel, they can still work with little detriment on
lenses of 35-90mm at smaller apertures, but super wides and longs and fast
apertures show marked degredation.

In any case, I use mainly use Leica filters on the Monochrom, because I have
had them for a long time. Full sets of 39, 46, 60, ser.VII and ser.VIII. For
49 and 55mm I use good Hoya filters.

Henning

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] More images with MM)
Message from hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] More images with MM and more)